Carotid Artery Disease
Vascular Treatments to Avoid the Risk of Strokes
The carotid artery is the vessel that supplies blood to the brain and face. Carotid artery stenosis is caused by atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). This is the build up of plaque within the arteries. Carotid artery stenosis occurs when one or both of your carotid arteries become blocked or narrowed due to plaque build up. Carotid artery stenosis is one of the major causes of stroke, TIA, or transient blindness (amaurosis fugax). Diagnosis and treatment of carotid artery stenosis can significantly reduce this risk.
Risk Factors for Carotid Artery Stenosis:
- Smoking Cigarettes
- High Cholesterol
- High Blood Pressure
- Carotid bruits are sounds heard over the neck. This may indicate the building of plaque in the carotid artery. Diagnosis of a carotid bruit is made by listening over the neck with a stethoscope.
- Carotid duplex scan (Ultrasound)
- CTA (computerized tomographic angiogram) scan
We can offer you several different treatment options, including the following:
- Anti-platelet medication: Aspirin and Plavix reduce the binding of platelets, which is a component of blood. They have beneficial effects in preventing strokes in patients for whom surgery or angioplasty is not indicated.
- Carotid endarterectomy: A standard, long-lasting, safe, and well-proven surgical procedure very effective in preventing stroke, TIA, or transient blindness by removing plaque from the artery. The procedure is performed under general or regional anesthesia with minimal morbidity. Most patients go home the next day.
- Carotid artery stenting: This is a procedure where a stent is inserted into the carotid artery. The purpose of this stent is to open up the carotid artery to allow an increased amount of blood to reach the brain.
Experience Expert Care from Highly-Trained Surgeons
If you would like to discuss your medical options, our team is available. We have 11 board certified vascular surgeons. Benefit from our medical team that truly prioritizes your satisfaction as our patient! Speak with our specialists today, we want to help you combat carotid disease and live a better, healthier life!